Election to IODA Board of Directors 2020-2021
Election to IODA Board of Directors
IODA Board of Directors Candidates
Amir Azarpazhooh, DDS, MSc, PhD, FRCD(C)
Specialist in Dental Public Health and Endodontics
Practicing endodontist, Toronto
Staff-Endodontist-Mount Sinai Hospital
Associate Professor, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto
DDS, Mashhad, Iran (2001)
MSc/Specialty, Dental Public Health (UofT-2007)
PhD/specialty, Endodontics (UofT-2011)
Tenured full-time Associate Professor, Faculty of Dentistry, UofT
Active researcher with > 120 publications, several textbook chapters, >150 national and international presentations, multiple teaching and research awards and recognitions and CDN $1.25M of operating grant
Executive committees activities:
Secretary-Treasurer, Canadian Association for Dental Research
Current Chair, Education and academic Affairs, IODA
Former executive Member, IODA
Head of Divisions of Endodontics and Research, Mount Sinai Hospital
Director, Advanced Training Program in Orofacial Pain and Clinical Research, Mount Sinai Hospital
Director, Centre for Advanced Dental Research and Care, Mount Sinai Hospital
Director, Global Outreach Program, Faculty of Dentistry, UofT
Member of Board of Directors, Centre for Advanced Dental Research and Care, Mount Sinai Hospital
Member, Network for Canadian Oral Health Research
Associate Editor, Journal of Endodontics
If elected as an Executive committee:
I am fortunate to be part of the larger community at UofT with years of experience as executive members of several organizations including our own IODA. With my current knowledge of IODA and understanding its strength, weaknesses, opportunities and threats, I aim to achieve practical short-term and long-term goals:
A short-term priority for me is to further strengthen our working communities and engage our IODA members in improving this association. I envision the IODA as a connecting platform of new and seasoned Iranian dentists and dental students in achieving a common goal, enhancing our professional portfolio and assisting one another in further growth. As an example, as a Chair of IODA Education and academic Affairs, despite limitations imposed by COVID pandemic, my team was successful in facilitating eight 2-point category 2 courses and one 3-point core category 1 course. We are currently finalizing the first IODA educational symposium to be held in December 2020.
Building on our strong continuing education, I will continue to assist IODA in establishing future CDE courses with top notch speakers from within our community and respected speakers in Canadian dental community., and will be able to establish a working group to assist those interested in research and advanced education.
As a long-term plan, I envision IODA as a connecting hub between our dental community and the Ontario-based Iranian community in establishing community-based outreach activities and advocacy for oral health. I would aim to establish a dental magazine for IODA where we can further expand our professional, cultural and community network with the public, and policy makers. Such platforms would enable more of collaboration with other professionals in our community.
Practice Owner, Toronto-Ontario 2017 – present
Associate Dentist (Dawson Dental, Willowdale dental Group, Teeth first Dental), Ontario 2016 - 2018
Clinical Instructor, University of Toronto (UofT), Faculty of Dentistry 2016 - 2018
Associate Dentist, Muscat - Oman 2012 –2014
Associate Dentist, Tehran – Iran 2010 –2012
Chair of Public affairs committee, IODA 2019- present
Member of Iranian re-certifying dentists sub-committee, IODA 2020 - present
IODA working committee 2018 - 2019
IWOO (Iranian Women Organization of Ontario)- Mental Health Committee 2017-2019
Research Assistant, Université de Montréal (UdeM), Faculté de médecine dentaire 2014 – 2015
Research Fellow, Shahid Beheshti University, Research Institute of Dental Sciences (RIDS) 2008 - 2012
Doctor of Dental Surgery 2004 - 2010
Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science, Tehran, Iran
English, Turkish, Spanish, Arabic and Persian
If elected as an Executive committee:
Working background with IODA:
Chair of Public Affairs Committee:
Since last year, I have been collaborating with 4 other colleagues in this committee and our mission has been to introduce IODA to the public as a resource for their dental questions and possible solutions.
Here is the list of our achievements:
⎫ Due to the pandemic and lockdown of the dental offices, members of the public affair committee decided to create several posters and written guidelines to help the public with their dental emergencies and oral hygiene regimen.
⎫ Later, the above-mentioned posts made for emergency dental situation during the lockdown was shared in some public Iranian pages in social media.
⎫ A separate section was created on IODA website under the name of COVID-19 which contains questions and answers for dental emergencies.
⎫ A blog was created on IODA website to post about various dental topics to improve the dental knowledge of the public.
⎫ I participated in a live program in Persian Epochtimes media and introduced the new normal in dentistry to the public.
Member of Iranian Re-Certifying Dentists sub- committee:
This sub-committee was formed since May 2020 based on my proposed idea and I believe it can provide a great help and guidance for internationally trained dentists to find their path to become a certified dentist in Canada.
Through collaborations with other team members in this group a comprehensive and thorough guideline was prepared for the dentists providing all the information they need to become a licensed dentist in Canada.
Here is my plan if elected as a director of IODA:
- Reach out to organizations for sponsorship in order to broaden IODA services to its members including hosting gatherings and seminars for our members.
- Plan to settle agreements for group benefits for IODA members.
- Offer free Continuing education courses on different scientific topics with CE credits for IODA members.
- Create and lead a professional work group to provide trainings on dental office management.
- Partnership with professional advisors to provide counselling services including legal and accounting.
- Support and continue collaborate with public affair committee to increase public awareness about dental health.
- Create specialized working group for patient education through social media, weblogs and posters. This will also include training the public about their dental benefits.
• DDS degree, University of Toronto, Faculty of Dentistry 2014
• DDS degree, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran / Iran 2000
• Clinical Instructor, Faculty of Dentistry, Restorative and Prosthodontic departments UofT 2018- Present
• Director, IODA 2019-Present
• Vice President / Executive Committee, IODA 2019-Present
• Chair of Members Affairs Committee, IODA 2019-Present
• Working Committee, IODA 2018-2019
• Audit Committee, IODA 2018-2019
• Private Practice, Toronto ON 2016- Present
• Associate Dentist at Liberty Square Dental Group 2014-2017
• President - IDAPP students, University of Toronto 2012
• Dental Assistant - Prosthodontic Associates 2010-2012
• Private Practice (General Dentistry), Tehran / Iran 2002-2009
• Military Dental Clinic, Shahroud / Iran 2000-2002
If elected as an Executive committee:
My resume at IODA:
During my term as an executive member of IODA, the association was able to achieve many outstanding goals that we had originally planned for. As the chair of members’ affairs committee, I am delighted to say that I was directly involved in many of those activities including the following:
• Formulating and finalizing internal guidelines and the corporation Bylaws
• Invitation to join IODA:
• Since I took charge of the members’ affairs committee, we managed to expand our membership by about 30%.
o I supervised the largest mailout campaign in IODA’s history, targeting approximately 400 dental offices with the objective of recruiting new members
• Communication with members:
o As the appointed speaker for IODA, I was in constant contact with members via email, telegram and Social Media (Facebook and Instagram) , addressing members’ questions, sending out greeting and advertisement posters, and informing them about:
▪ IODA events (educational, cultural, business) & announcements
▪ Latest updates on Business Interruption Insurance claims due to pandemic
• Improving IODA’s online presence:
o During my term as the chair of members’ affairs we managed to
▪ Launch IODA’s YouTube channel
▪ Add/modify blog and events page
▪ Launch practice directory page as an added benefit to our Gold members
▪ Launch Online payment feature for courses and membership renewals
▪ Increasing our followers by about 30%
• Formation of the Iranian re-certifying dentist subcommittee:
o Prepared and published a comprehensive guideline for the internationally trained dentists to assist them with their path towards obtaining their dental license in Canada
• Negotiation and recruitment of Sponsors
If I am re-elected as a director, I am planning to:
- Maintain and continue current activities and objectives
- Secure financial support for IODA through commercial sponsorship based on projected needs. As a non-for-profit organization this will be crucial for our continued success.
- Expand IODA to include more Iranian dentists in Ontario and unite them together under one umbrella.
- Increase public awareness about dental health through IODA
- Provide educational materials such as posters for our members for their office use (this will be similar to the patient education posters that we published during pandemic)
- Negotiate with dental suppliers, insurance companies or construction companies for group benefits
- Establish a practice advisory board for members including offering courses on office management, business and legal matters
Contact Iranian ODA
At IODA, we are dedicated to creating a strong foundation for dental networking and a voice within the Canadian dental community. It is an opportunity for members to learn and contribute to the learning process as well.
123 Edward St. Unit 1403 Toronto, ON M5G 1E2 | Phone: 647-250-4688 | Email. firstname.lastname@example.org