Sun, Dec 05|
Online via Zoom
IODA symposium/Core 1 course: Changing times...Changing needs
by the Staff of the Professional Liability Program (PLP) of the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario: Mr. Alan Lachapelle and Dr. Peter Hong
Time & Location
Dec 05, 2021, 1:45 p.m. – 4:45 p.m. EST
Online via Zoom
About the Event
CE Points: 3 CE points- Category 1 limited to IODA Gold and Silver members only. If you are not a member or wish to upgrade your membership, please click HERE
How to register: Please click HERE to register for this course Dec 5, 2021, 13:45-16:45 PM
- Free for IODA Gold members with CE certificate
- Free for IODA silver members without CE certificate (if you wish to receive a certificate, please click HERE to upgrade to Gold status)
Please note the followings:
- It will take a few days until we can confirm your registration. We will send you the confirmation email.
- The registration will close on Dec 4, 2021 at 12 pm and unfortunately we will not be able to accommodate late requests.
- To satisfy the RCDSO’s requirement for granting the certificate of attendance, please note the followings:
- Only the registered members can attend the symposium.
- Fifteen minutes after the course starts, we will lock the meeting to prevent anyone new from joining the meeting. If you are late for the session you will not be admitted.
- During the session and to record your attendance, we will be sending polls every 30 minutes that you need to respond to. If you miss more than one poll, you will not be granted the certificate of attendance for that session.
- You need to complete an online assessment at the end of the Core 1 session in order to receive your certificate.
Description: The practice of dentistry grows more complex every year. There are more treatment options, procedures, materials, medications and ways to communicate than ever before. While the explosion of knowledge and information has resulted in great advances, it can also create new risks for patients and practitioners. This course, offered by the Professional Liability Program of the RCDSO, examines emerging issues affecting dentists and offers risk management advice. PLP cases that have been resolved provide illustrations and tips to benefit you in your day-to-day dental practice.
Learning Objectives: At the end of the session, participants will understand:
- the role of PLP;
- details of PLP malpractice protection;
- the basics of offering a refund to a patient;
- the risks of social media;
- teledentistry and its risks;
- how good recordkeeping helps manage risk;
- informed consent from a litigation perspective; and
- ways to prevent adverse events in daily practice.
- Mr. Alan Lachapelle graduated from Seneca with High Honours in Legal Administration in 1987. He received an Alternative Dispute Resolution certificate from the University of Windsor Law School and consolidated his credentials through management courses with the Insurance Institute of Ontario and private educational facilities After 7 years as a paralegal at a downtown Toronto law firm specializing in defence work, Mr. Lachapelle joined the Professional Liability Program of the RCDSO in 1994 as Claims Examiner. He advanced to Claims Supervisor and Senior Professional Liability Advisor before assuming the Department Head role in 2017.
- Dr. Peter Hong received his DDS from the University of Toronto, with honours, in 1983. After graduation, he worked in public health, and started a general practice in Toronto. He also worked at Sunnybrook Hospital as a staff dentist for over 30 years. He continues in clinical practice and teaches dental students at U of T. Dr. Hong began working for the College on a part-time basis in 2001 as a Monitoring Officer, joined the Professional Liability Program as a Senior Dental Consultant in 2016 and became the Assistant Manager - Dental in 2019.